Deep within the bowels of Gruesome Magazine headquarters, an elusive ghostly creature lurks. The Grue Crew can’t put their finger on what it is. Some say it’s a Batman style superhero lurking for justice in the corners. Others say it’s a vampire with massive fangs using the evasiveness to further draw you in. Plenty of others just say it’s Doc roaming the halls to the fridge at night. Regardless, this indefinable creature is something many try to figure out. Little do they know that that creature metamorphosizes from week to week. Yes, you the fan choose the form of this creature and The Grue Crew spend the last moments of Horror News Radio trying to guess what it is. All of you forge the… Phantom Factor! Here are the rules:
- I’ll put up a call to action post like this one announcing a topic.
- This topic (The Phantom Factor, as it were) will be based around a favorite horror/genre character, actor, director or even film.
- The listeners will post suggestions in the comments of social media or this very post.
- I will pick three suggestions from those listed.
- On Horror News Radio, I will have list three facts about each mysterious figure that the other Grue Crew members will try to guess. Each fact is in descending order of vagueness.
- Those who guess from the first clue — the vaguest one — will receive three points. Then two points at the second clue. One point at the final. If no one guesses by that point, no one receives any points.
- The players can only guess once per clue, but won’t be penalized for getting a clue wrong.
- Those who enter will be in contention for a random drawing to win a prize at the end of the month! See below for more details.
This Week’s Topic
Episode 261 of Horror News Radio is a special one. It’s our fifth anniversary episode! That’s right; five straight years of Horror News Radio. It’s a milestone that’s we’re celebrating with style. Along with counting down the top 5 films of those five years, The Grue Crew is covering Steven Spielberg’s Ready Player One. This sci-fi escapade involves people in a dystopian future escaping the horror of reality in a virtual reality environment known as The Oasis. Many of the people in The Oasis build pop culture inspired avatars to run around this world in, so we’re expected to see huge characters of the genre like Freddy Krueger, Chucky and many others. So, in honor of this concept, we’re asking for the Most Iconic Horror Characters of All Time. Keep in mind this can be killers, final girls or any side characters who have made a significant stamp on pop culture. Hell, we’re not even restricting this to film. Any medium is up for grabs! Submit your answers by Monday April 2nd at 8:00 pm EST to be considered!
This Month’s Prize
Our prize for March is a copy of the book The Ultimate Guide to Strange Cinema by Michael Vaughn. This book is a film guide organized by genre, including comedy, horror, action, drama, fantasy, and sci-fi with 300 reviews of genre films from all over the world, 160 photos, and exclusive interviews and quotes from the people behind some of the most offbeat films ever made. If you live in a US address, you’ll be entered in a random drawing to win this lovely book! Remember: this is the last time to be considered eligible for this prize! Winner will be announced on episode 261!