“I’ve had fifty-six lovers and haven’t killed even one of them.” Good to know … for future reference. Join your faithful Grue Crew – Doc Rotten, Chad Hunt, Bill Mulligan, Jeff Mohr – as they reacquaint themselves with the Giallo version of Lucio Fulci in The Psychic (1977).
Decades of Horror 1970s
Episode 201 – The Psychic (1977)
Join the Crew on the Gruesome Magazine YouTube channel!
Subscribe today! And click the alert to get notified of new content!
Decades of Horror 1970s is partnering with the WICKED HORROR TV CHANNEL (https://wickedhorrortv.com/) which now includes video episodes of the podcast and is available on Roku, AppleTV, Amazon FireTV, AndroidTV, and its online website across all OTT platforms, as well as mobile, tablet, and desktop.
A clairvoyant woman discovers a skeleton in a wall in her husband’s house, and seeks to find the truth about what happened to the victim.
- Directed by: Lucio Fulci
- Writing Credits: Roberto Gianviti, Dardano Sacchetti, Lucio Fulci
- Selected Cast:
- Jennifer O’Neill as Virginia Ducci
- Gabriele Ferzetti as Emilio Rospini
- Marc Porel as Luca Fattori
- Gianni Garko as Francesco Ducci
- Ida Galli as Gloria Ducci (as Evelyn Stewart)
- Jenny Tamburi as Bruna
- Fabrizio Jovine as Commissioner D’Elia
- Riccardo Parisio Perrotti as Melli
- Loredana Savelli as Giovanna Rospini
- Salvatore Puntillo as Second Cab Driver
- Bruno Corazzari as Canevari
- Vito Passeri as Caretaker
- Franco Angrisano as First Cab Driver (as Francesco Angrisano)
- Veronica Michielini as Giuliana Casati
- Paolo Pacino as Inspector Russi
- Fausta Avelli as Virginia as a Girl
- Elizabeth Turner as Virginia’s Mother
- Ugo D’Alessio as Art Gallery Owner
- Luigi Diberti as Judge
- Camilla Fulci as Agnese Begnardi (uncredited)
Before The Beyond (1981), before City of the Living Dead (1980), before Zombie (1979), director Lucio Fulci mastered the Giallo subgenre throughout the 1970s. The Grue-Crew tune into his comparatively subdued feature The Psychic (1977), also known as Sette note in nero, aka Murder to the Tune of the Seven Black Notes, aka Seven Notes in Black. Fulci displays only a hint of the gore and bizarre narratives he would embrace in the decade to come, opting to stick to a fairly straightforward, supernatural-infused, murder mystery where psychic Jennifer O’Neill witnesses visions of a deadly and bloody murder. Of course, twists and turns follow each new discovery as she follows the clues to the shocking conclusion.
At the time of this writing, The Psychic is available to stream from Kanopy, Tubi, and Popcornflix. The movie is available on disc as a Blu-ray from Scorpion Releasing.
In case you’re interested, here are the other Fulci films Decades of Horror has covered:
- ZOMBIE (1979) — Episode 62 — Decades of Horror 1970s
- CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD (1980, THE GATES OF HELL) – Episode 145 – Decades of Horror 1980s
- THE BEYOND (1981) – Episode 123 – Decades of Horror 1980s
- THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY (1981) – Episode 209 – Decades of Horror 1980s
- THE BLACK CAT (1981) – Episode 184 – Decades of Horror 1980s
- ZOMBIE 3 (1988) – Episode 232 – Decades of Horror 1980s
Gruesome Magazine’s Decades of Horror 1970s is part of the Decades of Horror two-week rotation with The Classic Era and the 1980s. In two weeks, the next episode, chosen by Bill, will be The Blood Spattered Bride (1977, La novia ensangrentada). This wild version of Sheridan Le Fanu’s Gothic novella Carmilla (1872) comes by way of Spain, directed by Vicente Aranda.
We want to hear from you – the coolest, grooviest fans: comment on the site or email the Decades of Horror 1970s podcast hosts at firstname.lastname@example.org.