Horror-themed board games have become quite the rage of late. With all of us being in some state of lockdown – the distraction – and a new way to enjoy our genre of choice has been welcome and today we have news that one of the heavy hitters of horror is getting in on the action – Op Games is bringing Jason to the board game universe with Friday the 13th: Horror At Camp Crystal Lake.
Here’s the lowdown:
“Friday the 13th: Horror at Camp Crystal Lake is a press-your-luck survival game that puts you and your friends in the roles of camp counselors in a faceoff with the hockey-masked murderer for an intense five “nights”. Endure the suspense and win by gathering the most valuable supplies or finding safety as others lose everything, with unexpected hitches the whole way!”
Reach into a closed Camp Bag to secure an ax, keys, cleaver, gas tank, flashlight, or frying pan and keep them on your person. But be careful, Jason Tokens that represent his encounters are also inside, and ending up with two of them drops the proverbial hammer on your place in the game. Players continue stockpiling Supply Tokens, backstabbing fellow counselors with Fear Cards, and vying for additional bonuses until one person makes it through with the most points.
Play as your choice of six Camp Counselors, inspired by a cast of infallible horror film characters:
- The Final Girl: With or without tousled hair, this figure isn’t new to being the last one standing
- The Partier: Ironically too preoccupied to follow rules, but keen to make sure heads won’t roll
- The Nerd: Awkward and resourceful makes for resilient sidekicks who don’t get in the way
- The Jock: A gift of brawn to brain, it’s always an athlete who steps in to settle a physical score
- The Diva: Get past the sass and fussiness comes in handy when it’s time to improvise
- The Nice Guy: Whose strangely comforting purpose is to just make sure everyone is okay
Every turn gives you the choice to draw from the camp bag, put a card into play, or return to the cabin where you can safely bank points (or others can pull you out to continue the fight). Just hope that you have the Escape Tokens to fend off Jason and make it out alive.”
The company behind the little piece of wonderfulness – Op Games has also posted up a video of what the game is all about – and how to play it.
The game is available now – CLICK HERE and order this bad boy up!