The Grue-Crew love their 1970s horror films and Synapse Films is releasing a hidden gem with THE LIVING DEAD AT MANCHESTER MORGUE in September. We covered the film on episode 75 of Decades of Horror 1970s podcast. The film is often remembered for use of flesh eating ghouls positioned between The Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead before the gore of it all became the craze. Fun stuff!
THE DEAD RISE LIKE NEVER BEFORE WHEN SYNAPSE FILMS BRINGS THE LIVING DEAD AT MANCHESTER MORGUE TO BLU-RAY THIS SEPTEMBER!
A 3-DISC (1 BLU-RAY, 1 DVD & 1 CD) LIMITED STEELBOOK™ EDITION OF JORGE GRAU’S HORROR CLASSIC! ONLY 6000 UNITS PRODUCED!
“This is one of my favorite zombie films of them all; a genuinely chilling UK set horror…”Edgar Wright. Director of Baby Driver and Shaun of the Dead
“[A] still-startling nightmare creation that was years ahead of its time.”Mitch Davis, Fantasia Film Festival
With its revolutionary mix of shocking-for-its-time violence and sociopolitical themes, George A. Romero’s 1968 classic Night of the Living Dead quickly proved to be enormously influential with filmmakers around the world, and few were able to match its power like Jorge Grau’s The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue. Mixing a strong environmental statement with unforgettably terrifying set pieces, Grau’s film stands on its own as a horror classic, and now it’s been restored to its horrifying glory by Synapse Films in an exclusive new Steelbook™ release!
A strange twist of fate brings two young travelers, George (Ray Lovelock, The Cassandra Crossing) and Edna (Christine Galbo, The House That Screamed), to a small town where an experimental agricultural machine may be bringing the dead back to life! As zombies infest the area and attack the living, a bull-headed detective (Academy Award® nominee Arthur Kennedy, Peyton Place) thinks the couple are Satanists responsible for the local killings. George and Edna have to fight for their lives, and prove their innocence, as they try and stop the impending zombie apocalypse!
The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue (aka Let Sleeping Corpses Lie and Don’t Open the Window) is a gory horror tale from Spanish director Jorge Grau and widely considered to be one of the best zombie films ever made. Beautifully restored in 4K from the original camera negative, Synapse Films presents the film for the FIRST TIME EVER on Blu-ray with the true original English theatrical mono mix and the real opening and closing credit sequences intact
SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
• Exclusive new 4K restoration from the original 35mm camera negative
• New 5.1 English stereo surround remix made exclusively for the Synapse Films release
• Two audio commentaries featuring authors and film scholars Troy Howarth, Nathaniel Thompson, and Bruce Holecheck
• Restoration of the true original English language theatrical mono mix
• Jorge Grau – Catalonia’s Cult Film King (89 mins.) – This extensive feature-length documentary explores the life and films of director Jorge Grau (BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVE)
• The Scene of the Crime – Giannetto De Rossi in Discussion from Manchester (16 Mins.) (BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVE)
• Giannetto De Rossi – Q&A at the Festival of Fantastic Films, UK (43 Mins) (BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVE)
• Theatrical trailer, TV spots and radio spots
• Newly translated removable English SDH subtitles
• Liner notes booklet featuring writing from Spanish film scholar, Dr. Nicholas Schlegel
• Exclusive CD soundtrack of the haunting original score by Giuliano Sorgini
• Exclusive Steelbook™ artwork by Wes Benscoter
• Poster of Wes Benscoter’s Steelbook artwork
The 6000 unit THE LIVING DEAD AT MANCHESTER MORGUE Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray Steelbook™ is available exclusively through the Synapse Films website at: www.synapse-films.com. The retail price is $49.95 ($43.95, plus $6.00 packing/handling fee) with a street date of September 1, 2020. Shipping to customers will commence on that date, or as soon as the release is received at Synapse Films. If they come earlier than the September 1 release date, they will ship to customers earlier.
All North American orders fulfilled and shipped via our San Francisco distributor, CAV Distribution. For questions regarding the shipping of your order in North America, please contact CAV Distribution via this email address: email@example.com. All international orders will be handled via the fine folks at DiabolikDVD (www.diabolikdvd.com).
This release of THE LIVING DEAD AT MANCHESTER MORGUE is REGION FREE.
- Director: Jorge Grau
- Starring: Ray Lovelock; Arthur Kennedy; Christine Galbo
- Runtime: 93 minutes
- Release Date: September 1, 2020
- Language: English
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Aspect Ratio: High-Definition 1080p (1.85:1) Widescreen (Blu)/Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1) (DVD)
- Audio: DTS-HD MA 5.1 English Stereo Surround and Original English Mono (Blu) / Dolby Digital 5.1 English Stereo Surround and Original English Mono (DVD)
- Format: Blu-ray/DVD/CD Combo
- Region: 0
- Item Number: SFD0198
- UPC: 654930322192
- Price: $49.95 ($43.95, plus $6.00 packing/handling fee)