James Gunn (Slither, Guardians of the Galaxy) returns to the horror genre as the screenwriter and producer of THE BELKO EXPERIMENT. Remember, the popular Marvel director once wrote the screenplays for the Scooby Doo films and Zack Snyder’s remake of Dawn of the Dead. With The Belko Experiment from director Greg McLean (Wolf Creek, Rogue), Gunn swipes heavily from Battle Royale working double time to shove in a healthy dash of Office Space. So, what exactly does the Horror News Radio Grue-Crew think of his efforts. What you hear may surprise you…be warned.
Thomas is leading this week’s edition of Horror News of the Week with the sad news of the passing of comic horror legend Berni Wrightson who co-created DC’s the Swamp Thing and illustrated the Creepshow adaptation along with a beautiful rendition of the classic Frankenstein novel. He will be missed. HNR and Gruesome Magazine are heading to a number of horror conventions and film festival in the coming months with Joey Fittos covering New Jersey Horror Con and Film Festival March 31 – April 2, 2017 and Doc Rotten and John Black heading to Mad Monster Party Carolina, March 24-26, 2017.
Co-hosts Santos (The Black Saint) Ellin Jr., Dave Dreher and Thomas Mariani are back again this week to give you the best in horror as they recap, review and obliterate all that is horror this week! Oh, and don’t forget — Stump the Saint! (Brought to you by Gruesome Magazine)
Feature Review: The Belko Experiment (2017)
The cast for THE BELKO EXPERIMENT is an impressive collection of fine actors for a modestly budgeted horror entry: John Gallagher Jr., Tony Goldwyn, Adria Arjona, John C. McGinley, Melonie Diaz, Michael Rooker, Sean Gunn, and Gregg Henry. The gore is splattered throughout and the surprises pile up as the body count rises. But the film steers clear of anything heavy with its social commentary and inventive kills. The pacing, the music, and the editing prevent the film from escaping the bland execution of a promising premise. Stick with the trailer…or check out the review from the Grue-Crew. The movie is D.O.A.
Outline of the Episode
- [00:00:40]: Intro
- [00:05:03]: Horror News of the Week
- [00:05:19]: RIP Bernie Wrightson
- [00:09:25]: The Babadook’s Jennifer Kent gears up for The Nightingale
- [00:12:35]: Atomic Blonde Trailer
- [00:17:40]: Akira Kurosawa’s Masque of the Red Death Lives!
- [00:22:02]: American Gods Trailer
- [00:28:16]: Support HNR
- [00:29:01]: Feature Review – The Belko Experiment
- [01:12:08]: What Have You Been Watching – Beauty and the Beast
- [01:30:51]: Announcements
- [01:30:54]: Gruesome Magazine Indiegogo!
- [01:31:46]: Mad Monster Party
- [01:32:00]: Other Appearances
- [01:33:24]: WATCH TRAIN TO BUSAN ON NETFLIX!
- [01:33:49]: Stump The Saint
NEXT WEEK ON HNR
- Dragon Con
- Gruesome Tees
- Horror Pack
- Crimson Screen Horror Film Festival (Charleston, SC – May 19-22, 2017)
- Nightmares Horror Films Festival (Columbus, OH – October 19-22, 2017)
Gruesome Magazine Spring 2017 is coming! That’s right, the very first issue of an all-new horror magazine from the Grue-Crew behind Horror News Radio and Gruesome Magazine website will land late February 2017. The tag line “Horror Festival Hits – Independent Films – The Future of Horror” reflects the focus of the magazine on the up’n’coming horror film makers and their films in Horror Film Festivals across the globe. Check out the GM page for more details.