As Halloween 2016 sets sail, the Grue-crew turn to a thinking man’s Sci-fi mindbender for this week’s episode of HNR. Acclaimed director Denis Villleneuve brings his film ARRIVAL
into theaters this weekend with a thoughtful look at aliens landing on Earth with a little time-traveling mumbo-jumbo for good measure. Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and Forest Whitaker lead the cast Meanwhile Thomas and Santos share their impression of Netflix’s BLACK MIRROR Season 3
. Six episodes of some of the best sci-fi/horror television this side of The Twilight Zone.
Dave returns to guide the Horror News of the Week with casting news for Nosferatu
, The Slenderman
and…Doctor Stranger Things? The Black Saint reports on the New York City Horror Film Festival
extravaganza which ran November 10-13, 2016. And Doc is set to visit the Walker Stalker Charlotte
convention December 17 & 18, 2016 in Charlotte, North Carolina. Co-hosts Doc Rotten
, Santos (The Black Saint) Ellin Jr.
, Dave Dreher
and Thomas Mariani
are back again this week to give you the best in horror as they recap, review and obliterate all that is horror this week!
Oh, and don’t forget – Stump the Saint! (Brought to you by Gruesome Magazine)
Horror News Radio Episode 189 — Arrival (2016) — Black Mirror: Season 3 Subscribe — iTunes — Facebook — Stitcher
Feature Review: Arrival (2016)
An alien invasion film far closer to Contact
or Close Encounters of the Third Kind
than Independence Day
(2016) from Denis Villeneuve takes an intelligent look at what it may take to communicate with a species not of this Earth. Twelve alien space craft land across the globe and the US turns to Amy Adams to interpret their language. But they are in for more than first meets the eye as the creatures reveal their “weapon” to the world. Dave, Doc and Thomas reflect on the themes and the cinematography of the film while debating whether the “time travel” aspect of the script hamper or propel the overall story. The world may never know.
What Have You Been Watching: Black Mirror Season 3 (2016)
Making its way from London, England to Netflix, USA, Charlie Brooker’s Black Mirror continues with season 3. Expanding the typical season from 3 episodes to 6, the third go around features directors such as Joe Wright (Nose Dive), Dan Trachtenberg (Playtest), James Watkins (Shut Up and Dance), Owen Harris (San Junipero), Jakob Verbruggen (Men Against Fire), and James Hawes (Hated in the Nation). The Black Saint and Thomas Mariani provide thier review of each episode and rank the results.
OUTLINE OF THIS EPISODE
- [00:00:39] Introduction of the Grue-crew
- [00:03:40] Announcements
- [00:04:19] Walker Stalker Charlotte
- [00:05:57] Horror News of the Week
- [00:06:15] Christopher G. Moore, director of Knob Goblins, goes viral as Doctor Stranger Things
- [00:09:47] HBO tackles The Slenderman – the creepy trailer debuts
- [00:12:58] Robert Eggers, the director of The Witch, confirms his next project – Nosferatu
- [00:17:27] Verese Sarabande set to release a 12 CD limited set of classic horror film scores with Little Box of Horrors
- [00:21:28] The new Kong: Skull Island trailer is set to drop, the Grue-crew speculate
- [00:26:49] Support HNR on Patreon
- [00:28:06] Horror Pack
- [00:29:49] Feature Review: Arrival
- [01:10:19] What Have You Been Watching: Black Mirror Season 3
- [01:34:02] Film Festival Report: New York City Horror Film Festival 2016
- [01:45:10] Stump the Saint
NEXT WEEK ON HNR The Monster
and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Podcast: Play in new window | Download