Horror director Scott Derrickson (Sinister, The Exorcism of Emily Rose) tackles Marvel’s first supernatural property with Doctor Strange (2016). Benedict Cumberbatch stars as Dr. Stephen Strange, a successful but arrogant surgeon who suffers crippling injuries in a car accident and turns to the mystic arts to heal. Instead, he finds himself facing demons from the Dark Dimension. Light on the scares, heavy on the sci-fi, superhero thrills, Doctor Strange amazes with its incredible special effects and stunning visuals. Gruesome Magazine contributor Chad Hunt joins the grue-crew to review the latest from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Dave returns to guide the Horror News of the Week with casting news for Stranger Things Season 2 and information about Max Landis directing the remake of An American Werewolf in London. The Black Saint is all set for the upcoming New York City Horror Film Festival extravaganza November 10-13, 2016. And Doc shares his visit to the Sick Chicks Flicks Horror Film Festival on Saturday, November 5, 2016 in Cary, North Carolina. What a great fall season for horror flicks!
Co-hosts Doc Rotten, Santos (The Black Saint) Ellin Jr., Dave Dreher and Thomas Mariani are back again this week to give you the best in horror as they recap, review and obliterate all that is horror this week! Oh, and don’t forget – Stump the Saint! (Brought to you by Gruesome Magazine)
Feature Review: Doctor Strange (2016)
Marvel strikes gold once again with its 14th Marvel Cinematic Universe feature Doctor Strange. The film, directed by Scott Derrickson, owned the box office its opening weekend taking in $85 million. The Marvel super hero formula proves it remains strong and popular. At least this time around, horror fans, the film does deal with supernatural elements of alternate dimensions and otherworldly demons. The film benefits from a great cast, led by Benedict Cumberbatch, and amazing special effects. The grue-crew reveal how much they loved the film – well, all except one.
OUTLINE OF THIS EPISODE
- [00:00:39] Introduction of the Grue-crew
- [00:03:40] Announcements
- [00:03:50] NYC Horror Film Festival
- [00:07:20] Horror News of the Week
- [00:07:49] Sean Astin and Paul Reiser join the cast of Stranger Things Season 2
- [00:11:11] Scream Factory announces two treats: Black Christmas and Dreamscape
- [00:16:00] Comic conventions hit the high seas with the Fan2Sea Comic Con Cruise
- [00:18:58] Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jackie Chan, & Rutger Hauer join the Russian film Viy 2
- [00:23:45] Max Landis is set to direct the remake of An American Werewolf in London
- [00:32:04] Support HNR on Patreon
- [00:33:11] Horror Pack
- [00:33:45] Feature Review: Doctor Strange
- [01:47:19] Film Festival Report: Sick Chick Flicks Horror Film Festival
- [01:48:28] Stump the Saint
NEXT WEEK ON HNR
Arrival, Shut In, and the Netflix TV show Black Mirror Season 3