The surprise sequel of the year, Blair Witch, landed in theaters this weekend taking the second spot at the box office. The film from Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett, originally announced as The Woods, was revealed at Comic Con this past Spring to be a direct follow up to the granddaddy of all found footage films, The Blair Witch Project. While the initial buzz was extremely positive, the reaction from most of the grue-crew is decidedly less so. One review is powerfully negative, the reviewer gives the film a whopping zero out of five. Oh, man, the heat is on.
Thomas delivers a special installment of Stump the Saint this week as the game-show-esque segment of Horror News Radio celebrates its one year anniversary in its current format. Thomas gathers topics from you, the avid listener on Facebook and Twitter, to generate three trivia questions to toss at The Black Saint in hope to stump him soundly. Be careful, you may get “banned”!
Dave begin the show with the Horror News of the Week discussing a variety of items about the new Re-Animator remake, the upcoming Annabelle 2, and the Netflix original film Little Evil. Doc and Gruesome Magazine writer Paul Cardullo are heading to Wreak Havoc Film Festival in Greensboro, North Carolina this late September/early October. The Knoxville Horror Film Festival is coming October 21-23, 2016 in Knoxville, TN. Another announcement for the fall is that Horror News Radio will be at Spooky Empire in Orlando, Florida, October 7 – 9, 2016. Oh, boy! Plan your trip now.
Co-hosts Doc Rotten, Santos (The Black Saint) Ellin Jr., Dave Dreher and Thomas Mariani are back again this week to give you the best in horror as they recap, review and obliterate all that is horror this week! Oh, and don’t forget – Stump the Saint! (Brought to you by Gruesome Magazine)
Feature Review: Blair Witch (2016)
Fan favorite director Adam Wingard and his writing partner Simon Barrett tackle the Blair Witch franchise with the first returning installment in nearly 15 years with the matter-of-fact-ly titled BLAIR WITCH. The found footage film is a direct sequel to The Blair Witch Project (1999) following Heather’s young brother, all grown up, looking for the truth behind what happened to his sibling lost in the woods all those years ago. While he and his friends are mega-prepared with modern technology for a trip into the Burkittsville Maryland forest, he manages to get hopeless lost and subsequently hunted by something hidded in…the woods. But, what will the HNR Grue-crew think of the film?
OUTLINE OF THIS EPISODE
- [00:00:40] Introduction of the Grue-crew
- [00:02:46] Announcements
- [00:03:10] Introducing: Decades of Horror 1990s
- [00:04:45] The American Horror Story Fan Podcast returns with My Roanoke Nightmare
- [00:06:17] Wreak Havoc Horror Film Festival
- [00:06:39] Knoxville Horror Film Festival
- [00:07:50] Feature Review: Blair Witch (2016)
- [00:58:48] Support HNR w/ Patreon
- [00:59:52] Thanks to Patreon HNR is going to Spooky Empire Oct 7-9, 2016, Orlando, FL
- [01:02:36] Horror News of the Week
- [01:03:01] The announced Re-Animator film is a REBOOT not a sequel
- [01:07:31] Close your eyes, it’s the Annabelle 2 Teaser
- [01:09:34] Fresh out of Fury Road comes Mad Max: Furiosa
- [01:14:20] Netflix enlists Adam Scott and Evangeline Lilly for the original film Little Evil
- [01:17:36] A new director has been announced for Stephen King’s Gerald’
- [01:22:17] Stump the Saint
NEXT WEEK ON HNR
Rob Zombie’s 31