On this episode of Horror News Radio, the Grue Crew try not to cross the streams as they review Ghostbusters (2016). The latest film from director Paul Feig brings back the beloved property in a reboot fashion with females donning the proton packs and jumpsuits this time. Then, they discuss the Stephen King/Steven Spielberg/John Carpenter/Generally 80s Inspired thrills of Netflix’s new series Stranger Things. Could it be any better?
This week’s Horror News of the Week is present by Dave and discusses new set photos from new Stephen King productions The Dark Tower and It, Ripley finally getting her ending and the scariest cinematic creature known to man… TYLER PERRY’S MADEA! Not only are the Grue-crew going to Dragon*Con this year, Doc and Gruesome Magazine writer Paul Cardullo are heading to GenreBlast Film Festival in Culpepper Virginia this August 19 – 21, 2016.
Co-hosts Doc Rotten, Santos (The Black Saint) Ellin Jr., Dave Dreher, Thomas Mariani and Vixen, the voice of reason, are back again this week to give you the best in horror as they recap, review and obliterate all that is horror this week! Oh, and don’t forget – Stump the Saint! (Brought to you by Gruesome Magazine)
Feature Review: Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters has had a tough road paved for itself in the last few months. Terrible trailers, internet commenters and the pressure of revisiting a classic have all the benchmarks of something worrisome. But The Grue Crew still rages on as they talk about the comedy, the cast and the spooky effects work on the ghosts? Did “Bustin Make Them Feel Good” or was Ghostbusters “Too Hot To Handle and Too Cold To Hold?” The film, directed by Paul Feig, features Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones in the lead roles.
What Have You Been Watching: Stranger Things
The latest genre entry from Netflix has become a major hit over its initial weekend of release. Winona Ryder and David Harbor lead a group of child actors through an Amblin inspired 8 episode season, full of government conspiracies, time portals and 80s nostalgia. The Grue Crew is at various stages of watching, but there’s still plenty to dive into as they discuss the characters, the emotions and the thrills of seeing young kids ride their bikes looking for Stranger Things in the neighborhood. The show is created by Matt Duffer and Ross Duffer.
OUTLINE OF THIS EPISODE
- [00:00:36] Introduction of the Grue-crew
- [00:02:42] Gruesome Announcements
- [00:04:30] Dragon*Con
- [00:05:55] GenreBlast Film Festival
- [00:06:22] Wreak Havoc Film Festival
- [00:07:00] Feature Review: Ghostbusters (2016)
- [00:57:43] What Have You Been Watching: Stranger Things (Netflix 2016)
- [01:23:15] Horror News of the Week
- [01:24:00] Set Photos of Stephen Kings’ The Dark Tower & IT
- [01:29:30] The Sperig Brothers Directing Saw: Legacy
- [01:35:04] Sigourney Weaver says Neill Blompkamp’s Potential Alien Sequel Will Give Ripley an Ending
- [01:42:13] Marcus Dunston’s The Neighbor gets a trailer starring… Bill Engvall
- [01:44:58] Tyler Perry Fights Ghosts, Zombies and Clowns in Drag for Boo: A Madea Halloween trailer
- [01:51:48] Stump the Saint
- [02:01:28] Listener Feedback
- [02:03:44] What’s Next
- Ghostbusters (2016) reviews:
- Wreak Havoc Film Festival
- Gruesome Tees