On episode 489 of Horror News Radio:
- The Grue-Crew review… RENEGADE FILM FESTIVAL (2022).
Warning: possible spoilers after the initial impressions!
Be sure to subscribe to the Gruesome Magazine YouTube channel to catch all the HNR episodes.
This is HORROR NEWS RADIO, the official GRUESOME MAGAZINE podcast. Back with Doc Rotten once again are the scariest, goriest, bloodiest co-hosts on the ‘Net.
- Award-winning Film-maker, Christopher G. Moore
RENEGADE FILM FESTIVAL (2022)
HNR co-hosts Christopher G. Moore and Doc Rotten share details from their trip to the Renegade Film Festival (2022) in Atlanta and share their reviews of a few key features and short films as well as the awards presented.
Renegade Film Fest Wraps Up A Successful 2022 Season
The Renegade Film Festival came back to Atlanta bigger and stronger than ever, for the first live event under the new name. The Strand Theatre was absolutely electric with creative energy. It was a true celebration of art and we can’t wait to come back in 2023!
The turnout was stellar and included artists like K/XI (Maya) all the way from the UK, Ramone Menon (The Pey), Sydne Horton (META), Syd Van Roosendaal (Skin & Bones), Natasha Halevi (Don’t Go Outside), Rozalyn Mattocks (Kid Free Weekend), Nonie Shiverick (Scales), Tony Reames (Lethalogica), David Bornstein (Unholy ‘Mole), Jenna Kanell (Bliss is Orange), Adam Marcus (Jason Goes to Hell), Heather Langenkamp (A Nightmare on Elm Street), Andre Gower (Wolfman’s Got Nards), Michael Kennedy (Freaky) and so many more!
Screenwriter Olivia Loccisano wrapped it up by saying, “Renegade is full of such welcoming, incredible and loving people. I had such an amazing experience throughout the whole process and at the fest, itself. The festival director, Vanessa, is such an amazing human, and the films were so powerful. I highly recommend submitting if you have a genre film or screenplay that you care deeply about. This was one of my most meaningful experiences and travels ever, and by far, the best experience of any festival I’ve been to!”
The festival wrapped up on Saturday March 5, 2022 to a packed house and with an entertaining awards ceremony hosted by Wright & Marcus, complete with matching Adidas tracksuits and musical intro. The winners are as follows:
- Best Short Screenplay – Simone by Olivia Loccisano
- Runner Up Short Screenplay – Hysterica by Brit Tobin
- Things That Go Bump in the Night – Mourn
- Best Feature Screenplay – Catfish by Stephanie Moore & Vincente DiSanti
- Runner Up Feature Screenplay – CareFull by Talie Melnyk
- I, Myself, Am Strange & Unusual – Don’t Go Outside
- Best FX – Grummy
- Techno Terror – The Purple Iris
- Best Score – Who Wants Dessert?
- Filmmaking 101 – Gaslight
- Best Writing – Scales
- Catharsis – Despair
- Best Art Direction – Kid Free
- Weekend Global Terror – Trauma Zero
- Best Editing – The Pey
- Southern Discomfort – Bliss is Orange
- Indie Spirit – Lethalogica
- It’s All in Your Head – The Going
- Best Cinematography – Bliss is Orange
- Side Splitting – I’m a Vampire
- Best Performance – Jordan Gonzalez – META
- Gen Z – The Dome of the Sky
- Audience Choice – Kid Free Weekend
- Let’s Make it a Blockbuster Night – The Fourth Wall
- Breaking Barriers – Freaky
- Wolfman’s Got Nards – Gateway to Horror
- True Grit – Stacey Palmer
- Best Director – Jenna Kanell – Bliss is Orange
- Best Short Film – Grummy
- Best Feature Film – Maya
The one thing that this fest has successfully accomplished is to create a safe space for all creators to tell their stories in an inclusive environment that supports equality & visibility. Fest director Wright went on to say, “These films sparked important and thought provoking discussions, reinforcing the idea that progress in this industry is happening, and that we are all a part of this revolution in film. I’m given a lot of credit for this event, however it’s the people and the artists involved that make it what it is. You are who you surround yourself with, and I’ve made it a priority to surround this fest with positivity and strength. I am proud to be a Renegade and I encourage everyone to join us on this journey.”
The Renegade Film Fest is currently open for submissions exclusively through Film Freeway for the 2023 event, which will take place at the Strand Theatre March 2-4, 2023. The fest would like to thank the 2022 sponsors for their support, MBS Equipment Co, Henchmen House, FilmFave, Horror Pack, Final Draft, Mud Rat Screen Printing, and Javelina 98 Productions. For more information on the fest, questions and how to get involved, please visit us online at www.renegadefilmfest.com or on Facebook @RFF22, Twitter @Renegade_FF & Instagram @Renegadefilmfest
- Facebook Group:
- Vanessa, Facebook:
- Vanessa, Instagram:
- Christopher, Instagram:
- Christopher, Facebook:
- Doc, Facebook:
- Dave, Facebook: